Alumni nominations are solicited from the University community and through the Alumni Association Board of Directors. Each spring, student nominations are solicited from each collegiate dean and recognized student organizations. Deans and recognized student organizations may nominate two undergraduates and two graduate/professional students for consideration. The faculty nomination process is determined by the collegiate student organization in cooperation with a faculty member in the college who serves as advisor for this process. At least three must be forwarded to the Finkbine Dinner Committee for consideration. For faculty nominations colleges rotate each year with the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences every four years because of the large number of faculty in that college. Nominations for staff recipient are solicited from the campus community. The award will rotate each year between staff in the merit and professional and scientific classifications.
Each year the Finkbine Dinner Committee composed of students, staff and faculty and an alumnus select the recipients of the Hancher-Finkbine Medallions. Student and faculty recipients are informed of their selection by the collegiate dean and publicly announced at the Finkbine Dinner for representative student leaders held each April/May in the Iowa Memorial Union. The alumni recipient is informed by the University President in January/February of each year prior to the dinner.
Please review the criteria, download the form, and follow the included instructions. Write to firstname.lastname@example.org if you have questions or need help.
Submit your nomination here:
- 2019 Alumni Nomination Form-Closed for 2019
- 2019 Student Nomination - Deadline: February 27, 2019
- 2019 College of Liberal Arts & Sciences Faculty Nomination - Deadline: Closed for 2019
- 2019 Staff (P&S) Nomination - Deadline: Closed for 2019
- 2019 Philip G. Hubbard Human Rights Award - Deadline: Closed for 2019
Additional Nomination Forms
- "Tip Sheet" Suggestions for Preparing Nominations
- 2019 Collegiate Dean Student Nomination Form - Deadline: Feb. 20th, 2019
- 2019 Student Organization Nomination Form - Deadline: Feb. 20th, 2019
FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions)
1. Q: If a student organization nominates two students, does that detract from the nominated student's chances compared to if a student organization only nominated one student?
A: Information submitted and total submissions in each category are factors, not who submits the nomination. All nominations are reviewed independently on content provided by the nominee.
2. Q: Last year, a student organization was able to nominate two students for the "graduate" Hancher Finkbine Medallion, and two students for the undergraduate Hancher Finkbine Medallion. Is this still true for this year?
A: Four medallions are normally presented to currently enrolled students, two for undergraduates and two for graduate/professional students. Your organization may nominate two students in each category.
3. Q: Do you send the call for nomination to Student Org leaders, or to anyone in a Student Org, and advisors as well?
A: The information is sent to the President and Vice President of Student Organizations.
4. Q: Are there any specific requirements for who should write a letter of recommendation?
A: The letter of recommendation is an optional opportunity to provide multiple perspectives about a student's experience on learning, leadership and loyalty from either a faculty, staff, or student. As a reminder, applicants are evaluated solely on their individual nominations.
5. Q: As president of student organization, does my name need to appear as the nominator for each person or can it be another member of our organization (e.g. another student member who knows the nominee well)?
A: If agreed upon, the group can nominate an individual.
6. Q: My college has a pass/fail curriculum, can we still nominate?
A: Yes, please just make a note on the application that the curriculum is Pass/Fail and note if the student is in good standing