Each department in the Division of Student Life has an assessment coordinator whose responsibility is to coordinate assessment in their respective departments. The responsibilities of an assessment coordinator are to:
- Act as the coordinator of assessment within their department. This may vary based on the needs of the department.
- Be involved in multiple assessment projects each semester and share assessment project summaries with the associate director.
- Work with the associate director to plan and implement professional development opportunities for the department and/or division.
- Serve as the department program review coordinator during the program review process.
- Participate in the DSL Assessment Council to support assessment efforts in the Division of Student Life.
Assessment coordinators can help support a culture of assessment in the Division by:
Serving as a role model in using assessment in their daily work
- Share assessment data at staff meetings (some coordinators have added a standing item on agendas)
- Promote a culture of the “blameless autopsy” where you model discussing positive and negative outcomes data and working to figure out how it can help improve programs and services
- Refer colleagues to us if they need additional training and support
- Share resources, articles, etc. with your colleagues. Find past presentations and other assessment tools here.
Promote assessment as a way to do our work more effectively
Why wouldn’t we want to make decisions with good information vs. without it?
- Find ways to demonstrate assessment as a part of our work cycle – not a standalone. Integrate it into the planning and implementation process. Good assessment takes time but also saves time.
- Invite investment. If you have colleagues in assessment, invite them to join you in your work. This can include graduate or undergraduate students. If you want to form an assessment work group to guide projects in your area, feel free.
We are here to help you with any aspects of your work. We can help with developing outcomes, assist you with your assessment plan, help you analyze data, and write reports. Our goal is also to help you develop confidence, when needed, in your own skills. Please contact Teri Schnelle to set up a consultation.
The DSL Assessment Council guides assessment activities across the Division of Student Life. The responsibility of the members are to keep the council informed of current/upcoming assessment projects within their area and share data from their area.
This committee is a part of the Division of Student Life’s commitment to creating a culture of assessment in the Division. The Assessment Council’s primary charge is to:
- Coordinate assessment activities across the Division.
- Plan and implement assessment professional development opportunities.
- Contribute to the Division Year in Review by providing data, assessment summaries, and feedback.
- Oversee the process of celebrating Division assessment successes.
- Provide data and assessment summaries for the University of Iowa accreditation process.
- Associate Director of Assessment and Strategic Initiatives, Program Coordinator for Interpersonal Violence Prevention, and the Assessment Graduate Assistant
- Assessment Coordinators from: Office of the Dean of Students, the Center for Student Involvement & Leadership, Iowa Memorial Union, Multicultural and International Student Support and Engagement, Office of the Sexual Misconduct Response Coordinator, Rape Victim Advocacy Program, Recreational Services, Student Disability Services, Student Health & Wellness, Student Life Marketing and Design, University Counseling Service, University Housing & Dining, and the Women’s Resource & Action Center
- Identified assessment champions in the Division
- The Assessment Council will meet twice per semester